|Principal Distributed Systems Engineer
Apache Drill is a new type of distributed analytical query and execution layer that combines traditional SQL concepts with newer technologies like JSON, NoSQL, and Hadoop. We’re looking for seasoned, hands-on engineers to take on a senior role, working within a dedicated team and an awesome community to build this groundbreaking open source product. You’ll innovate on topics including high performance query optimization, querying nested schema-less data, distributed scheduling and latency/laggard management, memory allocation planning and field-striped storage techniques, improving query latency, and increasing scalability —all sponsored by MapR Technologies, a leading provider of Hadoop.
The cool stuff you get to do:
What you need to have to succeed:
- Interesting deep-dive technical challenges
- Mentally engaging, invested coworkers
- Build or hone skills working with leading big data technologies like Cassandra, Riak, Hadoop, HDFS, AVRO, MongoDB, Zookeeper.
- Become a major contributor and committer of an important open source Apache project
- Open source job protection and security
- Quiet time for technical research
- Ability to talk to and show anybody what you’re working on (including going to and presenting at many technical conferences--as you desire)
- Upside and flexibility of a startup with stability of a mid-stage company
The stuff that would be nice to have:
- Strong programming experience with a desire to be hands-on
- 8+ years of experience programming complex systems in Java or C++
- Experience building distributed systems, query processing systems, database internals, and/or analytic systems
About Apache Drill:
- Strong understanding of SQL
- Past architecture experience with Hive, Hadoop, NoSQL tools such as HBase, Cassandra or MongoDB, Postgres
Apache Drill is an Apache project sponsored by multiple leading big data companies. Its goal is to provide a distributed system for SQL based interactive analysis of large-scale datasets. Inspired by Google's Dremel technology, it aims to process trillions of records in seconds.
About MapR Technologies:
At MapR, we provide the industry's only converged data platform that integrates the power of Hadoop and Spark with global event streaming, real-time database capabilities, and enterprise storage, enabling customers to harness the enormous power of their data. In other words, we provide game-changing technology that’s redefining enterprise computing. Don’t just be part of the big data community—join MapR and help drive it!
MapR Technologies is an equal opportunity employer.